City to Celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. with ‘Unity’ Events
Mayor, Council and Community to Celebrate MLK with Workshops, Musical Performances
SEATTLE – Mayor Ed Murray, Council President Bruce A. Harrell and members of the Seattle City Council, along with community leaders, and City employees, invite the public to celebrate Dr. King’s legacy, and to live out his vision, by participating in the second annual Martin Luther King Day Celebration at Seattle City Hall.
Thursday’s all-day event will include exhibits, workshops, remarks from the Mayor, Councilmembers and the City Attorney, as well as a reading by the City’s first-ever Civic Poet, and musical performances.
The event is free and the public is welcome to attend.
WHAT: Martin Luther King, Jr. ‘Unity’ Events
WHEN: 7:15 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (NOTE: A complete schedule of events is available ONLINE)
Selected highlights include:
- 8:30 – 10:55 a.m. Workshop Presenters -Former Assistant Superintendent Erin Jones and Gerald Hankerson, NAACP Director
- 11:15 a.m. Walter Kilgore Memorial Color Guard – US National Anthem / Black National Anthem Medley presented by Pat Wright, Seattle’s First Lady of Gospel
- Remarks by Honorary Chair Mayor Edward Murray, Council President Bruce A. Harrell, Councilmember Tim Burgess, City Attorney Pete Holmes and Former Assistant Superintendent Erin Jones
- Emcee Isiah Anderson,CaptainJohn Hayes (Seattle Police Department), and featuring the City’s Civic Poet Claudia Castro Luna
- Key Note Speaker – Director Stephan Blanford, Seattle Public Schools
- Introduction of Musical Guest Josephine Howell
The celebration will close with music by Gabriel Teodros, D.J. Sureal.
WHERE: City Hall, 600 4th Avenue, Seattle, WA
WHO: Elected officials, community leaders and the public
Seattle City Council meetings are cablecast live on Seattle Channel 21, HD Channels 321 Comcast, 721 Wave and on the City Council’s website. Copies of legislation, Council meeting calendar, and archives of news releases can be found on the City Council website. Follow the Council on Twitter,Facebook and on Flickr.